Other Sources of Aid

New York State has a variety of military scholarship available. For more information, please visit https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/military-corner.html#horizontalTab3.

Veterans Administration Educational Benefits

Those veterans or dependents who are eligible for federal financial assistance through the Veterans Administration should contact the Fredonia Veterans Affairs Office which is located at 158 Nixon Hall at (716) 673-3423 or email veteran.affairs@fredonia.edu. Students are urged to begin their VA paperwork before the beginning of the school term in order to expedite processing. The Veterans Affairs office is staffed by the coordinator and two work studies who provide routine certification of enrollments. The staff also monitors student progress, and is available for information and referral for problems that might arise. Policy among various administrative offices, as it relates to VA recipients, is also coordinated through the Veterans Affairs office. The coordinator is in liaison with the Regional Office in Buffalo, N.Y., for those situations that might need special attention.

State Aid to Native Americans

Application Procedures: Application forms can be obtained from the Office of Native American Education, New York State Education Department, Room 475 EBA, Albany, NY 12234 or online at www.p12.nysed.gov/natamer/ call (518) 474-0537. Required application materials must be submitted to the above address before July 15 for the fall semester, Dec. 31 for the spring semester, and May 20 for the summer semester.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards:The applicant must be a New York State resident, and be on an official New York State tribal roll, or be the child of an enrolled member of a New York State tribe.

Responsibilities of Recipients: Students are required to:

  1. submit their grades at the end of each semester for which funding is received, indicating satisfactory progress toward degree or certificate requirements
  2. notify the Native American Education Unit, in writing, of any change in student status, change in program, or institutional enrollment.

Funding Procedure: Eligible students may receive grant awards of up to $2,000 per year for four years of full-time study (up to five years for approved five year programs). Part-time students will be funded on a pro-rated basis.

United States Department of Interior - Bureau of Indian Education (BIE)

Application Procedures: Application forms are available from the Education Office of the tribe in which you are affiliated or possess membership, and the Bureau of Indian Education. An application is required for each year of study. An official needs analysis (obtained from your university financial aid office) is also required. This analysis is provided after the student completes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Each first-time applicant must obtain tribal enrollment certification from the bureau agency which records enrollment for the tribe.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards: The applicant must:

  1. be a member of, or at least one-quarter degree Indian blood descendent of a member of an American Indian tribe which is eligible for the special programs and services provided by the United States through the Bureau of Indian Education
  2. be accepted for admission to a nationally accredited institution of higher learning which provides a course of study conferring an associate or bachelor’s degree
  3. demonstrate financial need

Responsibilities of Recipients: For subsequent grants, the applicant must make satisfactory progress towards a degree and demonstrate financial need. Depending on the availability of funds, grants may also be made to graduate students and summer session students. Eligible married students may also receive living expenses for dependents.

For additional information about any aspect of expenses or financial aid, please refer to the Financial Literacy Guide.